Sunday, January 27, 2013

A sign from above .... or below??


So, I am standing at my kitchen sink tonight, doing, like, the fifth batch of dishes today, and I'm increasingly starting to grind my teeth, and slam stuff in to the dish drainer.

I think, if you haven't already picked up on this, you should know that I am no domestic goddess, and I am no housekeeping diva. There is not enough prescription medication or wine in the world to make me enjoy the uphill tasks involved in being a Stay at Home Mum. 

I love my kids and my husband with every molecule and every fiber of my being. But I hate the rest.

It makes me bitter and angry and irritable. I am rubbish at it because I loathe it.
There. I said it.

Am I the only one who feels this way? AM I?????

Anyways....
I am standing at the sink tonight and I have just hurled my radio into the bin because the reception is so shit, I can no longer stand it's company. (I am not crazy, this has been building for years....)

Mr 4 walks in to the kitchen. A tiny little blonde weedy fella, in his red undies.

I stop slamming.

Obviously.

He says "Mum, whats that bird that goes Drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............?

Me: Whats that mate?

Mr 4: What's that bird that goes Drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............?

Me: I'm not sure what you mean mate.....

Miss 6 (knower of all) passes by the door: He means the crickets

Me: Oh. Right. The crickets. They aren't birds.They are insects, like grasshoppers.

And I realize they are going crazy outside, as the sun sets. I hadn't heard them.

Too busy breaking stuff I s'pose......

Mr 4: Oh, right they sound like grasshoppers cause they're ARE grasshopper's! (And off he goes....)

And I look skyward and I realize that I have been sent a reality check. From above. Or from three feet below eye level....

The mental conundrum I suffer is this: I am in a hate - hate relationship with ALOT of stuff in day to day life, but I am very fuckin' spiritual.
And I am way and beyond when it comes to giving my babies love, care and attention.
I answer about 90% of the 6 billion questions thrown at me every day.
And I hug and kiss and smell my children as much as they'll let me.

I GET mindfulness. I understand being in the moment. Just, sometimes, silly shit gets in the way of what's important.

I have heard people tell me that you should slow down and enjoy your kids cause they arent little forever. And you know what?
Annoyingly, its true.

Little men in red undies and grasshoppers says its so.

No comments:

Post a Comment