Sunday, November 9, 2014

My Last Surgery

So, tomorrow I'm due in for a little day surgery.
Those of you who know me will know that I have walked around for the last 19 months with an odd looking button on my chest. Its accompanied by an odd looking wire that leads up my neck.
This photo looks like Im showing my nipple but I'm not, its my port.
 
 This is my port in action. Its a little valve that was inserted into my chest and carried the chemo drugs from the I.V. into my heart.
It sounds bad. But its good.
I never had to have any poor stressed out nurses digging for my veins, which can be an incredibly traumatic thing when you're having chemo.
With my port I could just plug in and go.
I had to receive one of my drugs for over 12 months so it was a great recommendation to have the port put in just days after my mastectomy.
Its been with me through thick and thin.
Almost two years.
Bizarre.
It really signifies THE END for me.
Its funny the things that really mean something in the end.
The bloody thing even has its own ID card.

Anyhoo. Tomorrow it will be in the hospital incinerator.
Weird.
A tiny little day surgery and all visible signs (with clothes on) are gone.
Training wheels off.
For real.
Its over.

No comments:

Post a Comment