Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Will madam be having the carrots or the chemo?



So, I've learned several enlightening things today.

See how I said enlightening? Do you think I mean enlightening?
Or insulting?

Correct.

Here's what I've learnt today.

1. Kale will prevent cancer
2. "Yoga and a vegan diet cures pretty much anything". That is a direct quote.
3. Cancer is a multi billion dollar industry and there's NEVER going to be a cure because too many people are making too much money from it.
4. Stress causes cancer.

OK, suit up.

Number one. Find me one person, ONE person who has cured their cancer by eating Kale.
(I'm going to need proof, I'm just that kind of gal.)
It isn't an option.
If it was WE'D ALL BE DOING IT!
It's easy to administer and it doesn't make your eyelashes fall out. Win-win.

Conversation between an oncologist and a patient:

Onc: So these are your options Mrs West, we can remove your uterus, and hit you with 12 rounds of chemotherapy, ORRRRR you can eat Kale.

Mrs West: Oh I don't really like Kale doctor, lets go with option one.

NO.
DOESNT HAPPEN.

Ditto ginger/turmeric/garlic/green smoothies/overripe bananas/green tea/activated nuts/camel milk/soursop.

THEY ARE NOT SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN TO DO ANYTHING EXCEPT ADD TO THE ANXIETY.
And create gas.

I hope to god it really is that simple, but for now, chemo, surgery, radiation and drugs are all we've got that has proven to beat cancer. Suggesting otherwise is false and insulting.

Yoga and a vegan diet?
Shut Up.
Just Shut Up.
Seriously where in the world are people curing cancer with cucumber, lime and deep breathing?
Where?
Show me where.
I WISH.
I REALLY DO.

Corporations may indeed be making billions out of cancer treatments, but as long as its all we've got that's scientifically proven to work, I'm going to go with that. Cause I am just one woman with one life and one body.
Had I been given the option of chemo or carrots, my heart would have said 'Go with the salad' but my head would have said, 'Let some other sucker try the coleslaw route, I'm going with the stats'.

I hope with all my heart that those stupid people don't ever have to decide between radiation or guava, but if they do, I'd have a guess they wouldn't choose the fruit.

There are people that do. I know there are. And good for them for having such strong faith in the healing powers of groceries. In many circumstances I agree with diet as a healer. But this is an exception for me. And I find it insulting when people who have no idea tell me perhaps a mango frappe might have saved me.

And as for number 4: Stress may very well cause cancer, SO SHUT THE STUPID PEOPLE UP PLEEEEEEASE!

Ommmmmmmmmm.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! So good, so true! I have heard all those pieces of advice too, and it's crazy. I just wonder if any of the people who tell you to drink baking soda would do that if they actually got cancer?

    ReplyDelete