Friday, September 14, 2012

Evidence Based Suspicion



Ok, I am sure that on more than one occasion, all mothers who spend extended periods alone with small children have felt they might possibly, probably, definitely be losing their minds. Sometimes it is just fleeting wisp of a thought but sometimes one finds oneself holding ones head in both hands and begging quietly for mercy....

Let me share with you my latest piece of evidence in the case of 'The Suspicion of the Lost Mind'.

It was a beautiful, sunny Spring morning. Mr 3 and I were at the park, side by side on the swings....
Me: Hey look, that man has heaps of dogs.
Mr 3: Where?
Me: Just there behind our car, wait a sec, you'll see him.
Mr 3: Where?
Me: There, next to our car.
Mr 3: Where?
Me: (wishing I had never bothered) Bud! Right there! Can you see our car? (pointing about 10 metres away)
Mr 3: Oh. Yeah.......... How many has he got?
Me: Three.
Mr3: Oh. Yeah............. Is that heaps?
Me: Well I think its quite alot.
Mr 3: It isnt.
Me: (stupidly soldiering on) He must really love dogs.
Mr 3: Why does he have so many dogs?
Me: I think he must really like dogs. (I had by this stage figured out that the dogs were from the dog refuge and were being walked by a volunteer, but I thought better of opening up that mind boggling  can of worms...)
 Mr 3: Orrrrrrrr..... maybe he really loved dogs when he was a little boy, and now he really doesn't like them, but he is taking them to his space ship!................... Mum?
Me: uh-huh.
Mr 3: Yes?
Me: yep
Mr 3: Yes?
Me: ok, bud!
Mr 3: Yes, Mum?
Me: Yes! Thats probably what it is mate..... (understandably defeated)
Mr 3: What did you say? Mum? Mum? What did you say? Mum?
Me: (through the tears) Lets go on the monkey bars.....

So you see your Honour, I have never really had a fighting chance of keeping hold of my Mind.
I am pushed and pulled and played-with and defeated at every turn.
 Being subjected to the evil genius that is the three-year-old mind for 8-10 hours a day, day after day could crush even the strongest resolution to stay sane.
Bless his cruel little heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment