Monday, September 3, 2012

Mum's Birthday





So, today's a bit of a tough one if I'm completely honest.
Today is my mum's birthday.
Or it would have been, she would have been 68.

My beautiful Mum left this world nearly 17 months ago. And the hole she left isn't getting any smaller. In fact on dates-of-note, its a big old gaping hole of sadness, and memories, and loneliness.

I think being a not-very-old mum myself when she passed away, it really pulled the rug out from under me. I never really realized how constantly she was holding my hand. No matter how far apart we lived, I could always pick up the phone and just double check her opinion on the kids cough, or the recipe for bologniase, or the score on the footy. (Or the spelling for bolognase....??)

My mum was no bridge-playing, grey-haired knitter. No sir, she was no gentle granny who baked apple pie's. My mum was a champagne loving, trivia addict with a penchant for perfection and the life of the party. She was completely unique, and she thought everything my sister and I did was fantastic. She never missed an opportunity to tell us how proud she was. She loved her family with all her heart and its really really conspicuous that she is gone.

I know there are a bunch of us feeling fragile about Robyn today, but I thought it better to give her a place and celebrate her today, cause she only LOVED a celebration! She'd be ironing the linen napkins as we speak... So raise a glass for my mum, or your mum today and do what you can to avoid the big C, cause it is a right Fucker.

Love you Ma.

2 comments:

  1. Kia Kaha luv. Never been much for marking birthdays myself but a stray music track or a good tennis rally on TV ambushes me every time. Lets hoist a few glasses ay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes lets, and be ready for those bloody ambushes, theyre sneaky little bastards... x

    ReplyDelete