Monday, August 13, 2012

Looking for Inspiration

Since I decided to do something about my early mid-life crisis, I have noticed that the more I look around me to find what it is that inspires me, the more inspiration I can see.

It's like I had my head in the proverbial sand (geez doesn't that sound relaxing - a quiet minute in the sand, sigh) and I couldn't see all the amazing things going on that totally make you think, 'Wow, thats amazing'!

 My beautiful sister and I went to see a show on Saturday night. Not just any show mind you, Chorus Line. I know, can you believe it??!! I nearly wet myself, I was so excited. You see, we grew up watching the movie, and I kid you not, we can quote every single word in every single scene, bar none. At one point in the live show, one of the characters said the word "all" instead of the word "oh".... and my sister and I gasped audibly, wide eyed. So you get the idea how well we know this show. Anyway I'll get to the point. In the show, there is a song "What I did for Love" and its all about these dancers who are unemployed, and desperate to get a part in a new show. They basically talk about how they cant imagine doing anything else even though they rarely have work or money and just keep at it because it defines everything they are passionate about. They dance because that's what really rings their bell. You see where I'm going with this?

Whats really ringing my bell is the idea that people get up and make their dreams happen. I am looking right at the very people who are getting up on various mornings and deciding to walk the walk, get stuff done. Starting the training required to become a yoga teacher, grabbing a partner and opening a real life salon, doing work for free until they get recognized and paid real money. These are people who are doing it for love. I cant explain how inspiring I find that. Real people doing real cool things. I heard an old hippy say today, "sometimes you can't put it in the bank, you have to bank it in your heart."

Well, obviously he was stoned, but we all dream of making a living doing something that doesn't feel like real work, or that we know is making a real difference. Can I grow up to be one of those people? Shit, I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment