Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The things you do for your Kids...

My cousin (childless at the time) once asked me "What is it with the hundreds of people queuing up for hours in the sun to go on the Ferris wheel?

"They all have kids" I pointed out, "they're doing it for the kids."
"What? But why? They're all insane!" she said.

And I found it really hard to explain, because I could totally see her point, but I had many time been one of those insane morons in the queue.
Honestly, the lengths you'll go to to make little Timmy laugh or pee his pants with excitement is daft isn't it? But its this mad gene that lays dormant until you have kids...

Some people (not me, but some people) take whole holidays centred around their little darlings. They queue up for fairy floss and face painting and even the CIRCUS!
Public pools - would you be there without the kids? Nope.
How about a mega spinning hurricane ride just for fun? Not on your life.

So what are we thinking the whole time we're doing these mad things? We're not thinking anything.
We're watching their little faces light up and holding their little sick bags, and taking turns at lining up in 40 degree heat to get the prize!!
Because its Nature's way of forcing us into make awesome memory's for our children.
Hell, we even go to cafe's with really bad coffee because they have great toys there! Thats the kind of weirdness I am taking about. Inflicted selflessness.

Well its book week at school, and my little princess, Miss 6, wants to be Alice.
You know the hardest characters are the ones with very distinctive uniforms. Have you ever seen Alice change outfits? NEVER. So, a blue dress in a very specific shade, white apron, bow, tights and black shoes it is. Right then.....

Remember that gene I was talking about??
So my task today is to get out my sew-y thing and the skirty bits and go waaaaaaaay beyond my skill set, to make my baby feel special and beautiful for the book parade tomorrow.
And I know that child-pleasing gene has kicked in cause I am really looking forward to finishing it  and seeing her try it on.
And, lets face it, probably fall in to floods of giant Alice sized tears because 'Its Not Riiiiiiiight!!!!!!!"
sigh

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete