Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Stuff is Nonsense

I really got to a desperate place this week (and, let's face it, every week) with housework and the general state of tidiness within my home.

So, did I get stuck in to the hoovering, mopping, washing, dusting, tidying and folding?
Nup, I sat down to read up on how a Buddhist would deal with this chaos. Yes, I'll admit I was hoping to discover some ancient, deeply spiritual method to keeping tidy besides the conventional practical one which, frankly bores the pants off me.

The first thing I read were the four pillars or Noble Truths of Buddhism: if you dont already know, they are four different versions of suffering. Hang on, I thought, I'm on to something here, and I read on...
The whole idea is to view the world as it really is. Yes, I can see the mess in the kitchen for what it is, Check.
Buddhists dont deny the concept of pleasure, but acknowledge it as fleeting. Oh, right, like the 30 seconds the house stays tidy after I've cleaned it! Check.
The same logic belies the understanding of happiness: that only ageing, sickness and death are certainties in the end. YES! That's how I feel about that huge pile of washing: old, sick and like dying!

I'll paraphrase what I learned about Buddhism and Karma: bad actions bring about unhappiness.
I think I've cracked it... housework makes me sad so it MUST be a bad action!
Neutral actions such as sleeping, eating and breathing have no karmic benefit or cost - that sounds the safest doesn't it? 

To cross over spiritual genres for a minute: I hear alot that in Feng Shui, the belief is that one cannot have clear thoughts and energy in amongst clutter. Aint that the truth. Back to our buddhist friends:
Let us say that a Buddhist monk is our best example of someone who never trips over wet towels, injure his feet on lego, or run out of clean tea cups. Why? Because he doesnt have any superfluous crap lying around! He doesnt have piles of stuff or loads of junk! In fact, he doesn't have any crap, stuff or junk at all!

So, if I am to become the embodiment of a Zen Mumma as well as not have to tidy up so much, I need alot less stuff. Well, my husband and kids do. All of my belongings are meager and vital - obviously.
Thanks Buddha! A jolly good clear up and chuck-out is what's in order. I'll get right to it. I just feel I should show my appreciation with an hour of yoga and meditation, and a karma-neutral cup of tea first.

No comments:

Post a Comment