Friday, August 24, 2012

The Ten Year Marathon

So as I stand here on my tenth wedding anniversary, I think back to the young, naive 24 year old bride, and know with absolute certainty that she was so completely uncertain about ever making it to the ten year mark. Not because I doubted my husband or the marriage, purely because the chances of making it work and not ending in disaster are a harsh reality. We were so young and spontaneous, but we knew we had to try, just in case it might just happen turn out to be what we thought it might be...

We were living in London in a big rambling house with a bunch of fabulous young travellers and we were living the life of Riley. We have such incredible memories from those days. We had a gorgeous, simple celebration on the Thames and as the cliche goes, it was the happiest day of my life.

Apparently we had a 64% chance of remaining married for ten years. That dropped to 34% when we had children. I think my husband and I will confirm these stats seem fair and accurate.

Three of our good friends are tying the knot this month, and my wish for you all is that you roll up those statistics and smoke 'em. Our love and very best wishes to you, I look forward to the conversations we have on your tenth and out TWENTIETH anniversaries!

My overwhelming feeling springing from this anniversary? Pride.
I am so proud of the journey we have taken so far, the friendship we have built, the family we have produced, the odds we have overcome, the great times, the rough times and the couple we are today. Strong and together. It wasn't easy. In-fact, I would liken ten years of marriage to completing a marathon with both legs tied behind your back. But with your best friend by your side.

I know that those who have been together for 25 or 30 years will say, oh, ten years is just the beginning... and I hope it is.

Felling very proud of us, love you babe. x x x x

1 comment: